Saturday, April 26, 2008

Contentment

I stumbled upon a Bible verse the other day from Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “ Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Reality check: Are we content with what we have? The poor wishes to be rich and the rich wishes to be richer. How many times in our lives we complain that we don’t have enough money to but this and that? We often hear people say that money can’t buy happiness, but yet people still trying to buy happiness.

Take a moment to think about it. Myself, for example. I loves shoes, bags, clothes and fancy gadgets like laptop, Blackberry, and the list goes on. People thought I had it all but there’s always an emptiness inside. Yes, you can be ‘happy and content’ when you’re buying something. But how long does it last? The so-called ‘happiness and contentment’ are temporary. After the excitement goes off, you’ll find yourself still lost in trying to find happiness and contentment.

Besides things that we possessed or wish to have, we try to capture contentment through relationships with others. Relationships are important – some are vital – but even these will not provide complete fulfillment. Sports, hobbies, careers, and other types of activities are also used as substitute to satisfy our hunger for contentment.

However, in the end we will find out that things never bring real gratification to our lives and none of these will fill that basic need. The Bible, in the Book of Ecclesiastes, declares that all the things in this world is meaningless and will not bring lasting satisfaction.

We might wonder if there is such a thing as ‘true contentment’ and can it be attained in this life. We may have our doubts but from the Book of Philippians, the apostle Paul gave us some insights: I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every stuation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:10-13)

The secret to contentment, as with all things, lies in our relationship with God. It is not based on circumstances but depends on the Lord, who orders those circumstances. As our relationship with Christ deepens, we will grow in grace and contentment in all things. As we strive to shift the focus from self to others, our contentment will grow. Dwelling more on the love, mercy and grace of God will increase our contentment.

Make a list of the blessings God has given to you. Reflect on how the world distracts us from the contentment that we should draw from these blessings. Start each day with thanksgiving to God.

I have started my journey to contentment, have you?

No comments: